Friday 27 September 2019

27 Sep. 2019, day 54: Lourenza - Abadin, 23 km (1061 km)


Today it would be just as much climbing as yesterday (900 meters), but then over a shorter distance and with few drops in between.  So I go higher into the mountains.


 When I start walking it drizzles.  After a while the poncho really needs to put on, but it is not cold yet.  The route goes partly through beautiful narrow paths and passes some old villages.  The storage sheds look different here.  Smaller and elongated.  They are also not called a horeo, but I forgot their name.

 After more than 8 km I cross the old St. Lazarus bridge when entering Mondonedo, a beautiful old town. 

I visit the cathedral, which had the same architect as the cathedral of Santiago.

 Then a nice café solo grande on a covered terrace opposite the cathedral.  A new route runs directly from Mondonedo to Gontan.  This route of 12km is almost completely unpaved and goes largely through the forest.  A lot of climbing is needed.

  It starts to rain harder and it takes a long time before I find a place to rest and eat.  When I get above the forest I walk among the horses, in the clouds. 

The wind is strong and it is wet and cold.  I put on my rain pants, because it is too cold in my shorts and with wet legs.  The promised view cannot be seen.  When I have just reached the top, the rain stops and the fog blows away.  I can finally take some pictures.

I have to descend a bit to Abadin where the weather clears up a bit.
 The hostel in Abadin is nice.  I  take a quick warm shower and eat some food.  I'm tired.

Do you want to support Professor Conny during her 1200 kilometre walk for Chromosome 6?

Donate options
JustGiving
PayPal
Geef.nl
Tikkie (Dutch only)

Direct bank transfer:
Bank account: NL21 ABNA 0423 1266 95
In the name of: Stichting Steunfonds UMCG
Reference: 4950351 Chromosome6
SWIFT-BIC code: ABNANL2A (for international transfers)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to follow Professor Conny by Email

Donate options

Donate via PayPal

Donate via Geef.nl


Bank Transfer

Bank account: NL21 ABNA 0423 1266 95
In the name of: Stichting Steunfonds UMCG
Reference: 4950351 Chromosome6

SWIFT-BIC code: ABNANL2A for international transfers