Wednesday 18 September 2019

18 Sept. 2019, day 45: Peon - Gijon, 17 km (844 km)

Today I have a late start of the day with breakfast at 8 o'clock.
Against all forecasts, it is raining this morning.  Gloria, the hospitalera assures me that it only rains on the mountain and that it will become dry as soon as I descend. She is right, after the descent and before I start the only but tough climb of the day, it is dry and I can remove my poncho.
After the rain, a foggy valley

Climbing  again

After almost 2 hours of walking there is a great picnic table for coffee.  I meet a Croatian girl and a few minutes later two  Germans join us. It is always Nice to talk to others every now and then.
After the break, we all walk separately again, each  at his own pace. A descent through the forest follows

and then for a very long time the outskirts of Gijon.
Beautiful spring in a small village before Gijon

Once in Gijon I walk straight to the hotel that I booked.  Slightly more expensive than the 20 euros they ask here in the hostel for a bed in a dorm, but I now have a neat room with a good bathroom and great towels. Very enjoyable.
In the afternoon I start sightseeing Gijon.
The old center is nice with narrow streets and a few beautiful old buildings.
Beach of Gijon

"Praise to the horizon"

I get a stamp for my pilgrim's passport at the tourist office.


Do you want to support Professor Conny during her 1200 kilometre walk for Chromosome 6?

Donate options
JustGiving
PayPal
Geef.nl
Tikkie (Dutch only)

Direct bank transfer:
Bank account: NL21 ABNA 0423 1266 95
In the name of: Stichting Steunfonds UMCG
Reference: 4950351 Chromosome6
SWIFT-BIC code: ABNANL2A (for international transfers)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to follow Professor Conny by Email

Donate options

Donate via PayPal

Donate via Geef.nl


Bank Transfer

Bank account: NL21 ABNA 0423 1266 95
In the name of: Stichting Steunfonds UMCG
Reference: 4950351 Chromosome6

SWIFT-BIC code: ABNANL2A for international transfers