Friday 20 September 2019

20 Sept. 2019, day 47: Aviles - Muros de Nalon, 24 km (894 km)


This morning the first pilgrims were already gone at 6 am.  I stayed in bed until the light in the dormitory went on at 7 am.  I had breakfast in a bar in the very nice town of Aviles.


I climb out of Aviles and leave the official route to follow the old route over San Martin de Laspra.  Other pilgrims shout to me that I am going wrong, but this somewhat longer alternative route is still well-marked.  A local Spaniard explains to me that I am walking the Camino viejo that is longer but mas tranquilo.  I descend winding through a forest and pass a number of nice old villages.

Occasionally I can see the ocean again. 
After the village of Santiago del Monte, a long stretch of forest follows.  It is a very nice walk on unpaved paths. 

In the forest I gradually descend to the old Romanesque bridge in front of Castillo. 

Through narrow streets I climb up into Castillo and am rewarded with fantastic views. 

Then I descend to the bridge over the rio Nalon, where pilgrims have to walk on the narrow stretch between guardrail and railing. 

Finally the last climb of the day to Muros de Nalon.
The Albergue is really fantastic.  A dormitory with 12 beds, good showers, a nice garden and a small bar/restaurant.


Do you want to support Professor Conny during her 1200 kilometre walk for Chromosome 6?

Donate options
JustGiving
PayPal
Geef.nl
Tikkie (Dutch only)

Direct bank transfer:
Bank account: NL21 ABNA 0423 1266 95
In the name of: Stichting Steunfonds UMCG
Reference: 4950351 Chromosome6
SWIFT-BIC code: ABNANL2A (for international transfers)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to follow Professor Conny by Email

Donate options

Donate via PayPal

Donate via Geef.nl


Bank Transfer

Bank account: NL21 ABNA 0423 1266 95
In the name of: Stichting Steunfonds UMCG
Reference: 4950351 Chromosome6

SWIFT-BIC code: ABNANL2A for international transfers